#RDchat on Twitter
- A monthly moderated conversation on Twitter for people interested in food and nutrition. The hour-long chat is a virtual venue to discuss the latest headlines, new studies, controversial topics and issues related to the food we eat. The chats will be moderated by me or another registered dietitian (RD), with various special guests invited to lead the discussion. Questions will be asked by the moderator (Q1, Q2, Q3, etc.) and participants will respond to questions (A1, A2, A3), add comments or RT other answers.
- The chat is open to everyone — you don’t have to be a registered dietitian. Anyone interested in food and nutrition can take part, and various viewpoints are welcome. The chats will primarily focus on nutrition, but will also touch on various aspects of social media, including blogging, use of Twitter, etc. If you have a blog, that’s great. You don’t need one to be involved. The only requirement to participant is a Twitter account. If you missed the live tweeting, you’ll be able to find the monthly conversations archived on Nutrition Blog Network.
- For now, #RDchat will be monthly. It will take place on the first Wednesday of the month from 8-9 pm ET.
- Search for #RDchat on Twitter to find out the theme for the month and to see updates.
- The chat happens live on Twitter and you can jump in at any time during the hour. Simply log on to your Twitter account and you can use any of these options to help you manage the conversations.
- One option, go to http://www.search.twitter.com and type in #RDchat. Only the tweets that include that hashtag (#) will appear. You may have to refresh the page to get new results.
- If you use Tweetdeck, start a column for #RDchat. Only tweets that are tagged with #RDchat will appear in that column for you to respond to.
- There are several other programs you can use that are specifically designed for chats on Twitter: http://www.tweetchat.com http://www.tweetgrid.com http://twubs.com All you have to do is log on to one of those programs. When prompted, type in #RDchat and you’ll only see tweets that include that hashtag. It allows you to see the fast-paced conversation happening in real time. You use just like Twitter; reply, comment, retweet, etc. All of your tweets will automatically be tagged with #RDchat.
- Tweet chats are a great way to meet and network with new people who share your interests.
- They also provide a forum for you to communicate with a broader audience on Twitter and gain new followers.
- #RDchat will help dietitians connect on timely topics. We often write about various issues on our blogs, but don’t always talk with each other about those topics.
- If you have additional questions or comments, DM me at @JanetHelm.